DonateTicketsEnewsMobile AppsYoutubeTwitterFacebookLive StatsLive Video
Caleb Matthews scored his first goal of the season on Friday.
by: Stetson University
Men's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Tie at Lipscomb Friday
Courtesy: Stetson University  
Release:  10/19/2012
Share |

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Stetson men's soccer team (2-6-2, 1-2-1) played to a 1-1 tie with Lipscomb on the road Friday night.  Senior Caleb Matthews scored the lone goal for the Hatters, tying the game in the 57th minute.

Unlike last weekend, when neither team was able to get on the board until the second half, the Bisons scored early to take a 1-0 advantage in the 12th minute of play.  Matt Shanklin gathered a loose ball in the box, and found a way to loft it over junior goalkeeper Andreas Schnabl and into the back of the net unassisted.

After the halftime break, it was Stetson's turn to get on the scoreboard.  The Hatters tied the game in the 57th minute on the foot of Matthews' first score of the season.  Senior Jonathan Mendoza carried the ball all the way to the end line, before crossing it towards the far post, which is where Matthews ran onto the ball and one-touched it into the back of the net.

The assist marked Mendoza's second of the season and the 21st in his career.  It moved the senior into sole possession of second place in the Stetson record books for career assists.  He passed former Hatter Gonzalo de Mujica, who totaled 20 from 2008 to 2011.

When regulation ended, the two squads were still tied at 1-1, so they went to overtime in Nashville.  Neither team was able to gain the advantage, although the Bisons recorded two shots in the second 10 minutes, and the Hatters had a chance with a corner kick with less than two minutes remaining in the match.

One hundred and ten minutes after the first whistle, Stetson and Lipscomb were still tied 1-1, each receiving one point in the Atlantic Sun Conference standings.  The Bisons outshot Stetson 9-7 in the game and tallied seven corners to the Hatters' five.  Schnabl finished with three saves, while John Schnurbusch totaled two for Lipscomb.

"We fought hard for a full 110 minutes, and with a man down it made this match that much more important for us to play for each other," Head Coach T. Logan Fleck said.  "That's exactly what we need to do at this time of the year."

Stetson will next travel to Northern Kentucky for a Sunday Atlantic Sun Conference match.  The Hatters and the Norse are scheduled to kickoff at 1:00 pm in Highland Heights, Ky.

Stetson Men's Soccer