The official Stetson colors are a rich dark green (PMS 342) and white, representing the trees and orange blossoms prevalent in the Central Florida area. White represents purity, and green, significant growth. At the first commencement in 1893, the stage was decorated in green and white. These colors also were used first at the beginning of intercollegiate athletics in Florida. Newspaper accounts of the first Florida college football game in 1901 told of Stetson fans waving their colors of green and white as they cheered their team to victory.
|The Stetson Hatter|
The unlikely combination of a famous hat manufacturer and a university produced a novel nickname for Stetson University. The athletic teams are called "Hatters," reflecting the university's association with John B. Stetson, maker of the well-known Stetson hats. It all began in 1883 when Henry DeLand founded the DeLand Academy. Three years later, after a disastrous freeze affecting the citrus industry left DeLand in financial distress, Stetson, who had a winter home in DeLand, became interested in the school. At Deland's request, Stetson was made chairman of the Board of Trustees in 1889 and the university was renamed in his honor. Stetson University fielded the first football team in Florida in 1901. The name "Hatter" was used then and is still in use today.
Athletics Department | Unit 8359
421 North Woodland Boulevard
DeLand, Florida 32723
Phone Number : 386.822.8100