DonateTicketsEnewsMobile AppsYoutubeTwitterFacebookLive StatsLive Video
In just her second game back, O'Kennedy scored for the Hatters.
by: Jim Hogue Photos
Women's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Draw Against Lipscomb
Courtesy: Stetson University  
Release:  09/30/2012
Share |

The Stetson women's soccer team (3-8-1, 1-2-1) battled through 110 minutes against Atlantic Sun Conference foe Lipscomb (2-7-3, 0-3-1) on Sunday afternoon.  The Hatters were unable to tally a late goal against the Bisons, and were left with a 1-1 tie in double overtime.

Stetson was on the offensive from the start, recording 10 shots to Lipscomb's seven through the first 45 minutes of play.  A couple of early chances by freshman Mara Keomanivane and junior Alyssa Welsh forced Bison goalkeeper Erin Zerio to make a couple of tough saves before 10 minutes had passed.

It wasn't until just before the break, though, that the Hatters were able to take an advantage on the scoreboard.  Sophomore Katie O'Kennedy, who was playing in just her second game of the season, tallied her first score of the year with just one minute and 45 seconds to play in the first frame.

O'Kennedy saw some action on Friday against Northern Kentucky, but Stetson's leading score from a year ago really made her return to the grind on Sunday.  The forward played 60 minutes as she continued to work her way back from injury, and after stealing the ball from a Lipscomb defender she ripped a shot past Zerio to the far post and into the back of the net.

"It feels amazing," O'Kennedy said of being back on the field.  "I've had to put in a lot of hard work but it feels good to get back out there."

The Hatters one-goal advantage at the half was short lived once the two teams made their way back onto the field.  Lipscomb responded with a goal in the 56th minute to tie the game at 1-1.  Baylee Linnell, who was showing off her strength on throw-ins all day, tossed one in to Caroline Chadwell as she beat the Stetson defense and placed the ball passed junior Victoria Troccoli.

An extremely physical contest, neither squad quit before the final buzzer of the second overtime sounded.  In the final moments of the game Welsh received a ball in front of the goal and gave the Hatters their best chance to pull off the victory, but her shot missed just high and Stetson was held to one point against the Bisons.

SU outshot Lipscomb 21-16 for the game, and recorded six corner kicks to LU's three.  Troccoli totaled five saves in the contest, while Zerio finished with seven.

"We're a little disappointed with the result, because we had opportunities to win the game," Assistant Coach Stephanie Webb said.  "Our girls are disappointed because they worked really hard, and ultimately deserved the win."

Stetson will next head on the road for three straight A-Sun tilts.  The Hatters play at Jacksonville on October 5, at North Florida on Oct. 7, and at Florida Gulf Coast on October 13. 

Coach Webb Interview

Katie O'Kennedy Interview

Stetson Women's Soccer