Just off of a road win last Sunday, the Stetson women’s soccer team will return to the pitch on Friday night, playing at the University of Central Florida at 7:00 p.m. in Orlando.
The Hatters (2-2-1) went 1-1 in their first road weekend of the year, falling to Georgia Southern last Friday, and defeating South Carolina State 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. Senior Amber Grose assisted on both Stetson goals on the weekend, increasing her team and conference-leading total to four for the season.
UCF (4-2-0) will be a tough out for the Hatters, as the Knights were receiving votes in the most recent NSCAA National Poll. UCF has wins over Washington, Hawaii, North Florida, and Middle Tennessee thus far, and has played just one game at home.
Friday’s game will be held at the UCF Soccer Complex in Orlando. Tickets are $5 for adults, and $3 for students and seniors. Call (407) UCF-1000 for more information.
For fans unable to make it out to this weekend’s contest, there will be live stats and a subscription based live video stream available on UCFKnights.com. As always, the @StetsonWSoccer Twitter feed and the Hat-Alerts text messaging service are also available for in-game updates.
• Stetson topped South Carolina State 1-0 for the team’s first road victory of the season. Last year the Hatters recorded just one win away from DeLand.
• Senior Alyssa Welsh scored the lone Stetson goal against Georgia Southern, her first of the season. She is the active career leader in goals scored for Stetson with nine.
• Sophomore Rebecca Oser recorded the first assist of her career on Friday against Georgia Southern.
• Sophomore Makeshia Lucien scored the game-winner against South Carolina State, marking the first score of her career.
• Amber Grose assisted on both goals of the weekend for Stetson, increasing her team and conference-lead to four helpers on the season.
• Senior Victoria Troccoli notched her second shutout of the season on Sunday, which is second best in the A-Sun. Her 0.92 goals-against-average is also second best in the league.
• After opening the season with five straight home games – including exhibitions – the Hatters are amidst a five-game road trip. Stetson will finally return home on Sept. 27.
• UCF was receiving 21 votes in the NSCAA’s Top 25 Poll released on September 10. The Knights’ two losses are to Tennessee (53 votes) and #4 Florida State.
• Stetson and UCF have met 18 times in the all-time series, which dates back to the Hatters’ first year of competition, 1993.
• The Knights have won every meeting between the two teams. The last time Stetson and UCF played was in 2004 when the Knights won 1-0 in DeLand.