Currently tied for third place in the Atlantic Sun Conference standings, the Stetson women’s soccer team returns home this weekend to host USC Upstate and ETSU in a pair of conference matches at the Athletic Training Center.
The Hatters (4-6-2, 2-1-1) are coming off of an exciting undefeated 1-0-1 road weekend against Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky, which gave Stetson a total of seven points in league play, putting the team behind only FGCU and Kennesaw State in the standings.
Stetson came from behind in both matches; scoring in the final two minutes of regulation to tie 3-3 at Lipscomb, and then scoring in the final three minutes of the second half to top Northern Kentucky 2-1 on Sunday. Sophomore Danielle Hurme, who scored the tying goal in each of last weekend’s games, was named A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts.
USC Upstate (3-6-3, 0-2-1) has improved over last season’s output, already holding a 3-6-3 record after finishing 2012 with an overall mark of 3-15-0. The Spartans have opened A-Sun play 0-2-1, falling to ETSU and Kennesaw State, but playing to a draw with Mercer last Sunday.
ETSU (6-5-1, 2-1-0) is just behind the Hatters in the A-Sun standings with six points. The Bucs began conference play with a decisive 7-1 win over Upstate. They then fell to Mercer 3-2 and defeated Kennesaw State 2-0 last weekend.
Stetson will host Upstate on Friday at 7:00 p.m., and then welcome ETSU to the ATC on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Both matches will be available to watch on HatterVision. Live Stats, the @StetsonWSoccer Twitter feed, and Hat-Alerts are also available for in-game updates.
This weekend’s contests will have general admission tickets priced at $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students. All home soccer matches are free to Stetson students, faculty, and staff with a Stetson University ID. For more information call (386) 738-HATS.
• Stetson went undefeated on the road last weekend, tying Lipscomb 3-3 and defeating Northern Kentucky 2-1.
• The Hatters stand in a tie for third place with a 2-1-1 Atlantic Sun Conference record, which is good for seven points.
• Stetson has already topped its overall and league win totals from a year ago. Stetson was 3-13-1 and 1-7-1 in 2013.
• The Hatters’ three goals against Lipscomb were a season-best, and the most since a 5-2 win against FAU on Sept. 8, 2012. It also marked the most goals in a road game for Stetson since a 4-1 win at Campbel in 2010.
• Sophomore Danielle Hurme scored two goals last weekend, and was named A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts.
• Amber Grose leads the Hatters in points on the year with one goal and six assists for eight points. Her six assists are the third most in the A-Sun.
• Stetson holds a 5-0-1 advantage over USC Upstate in the all-time series between the two teams, which dates back to 4-0 Hatter win in 2007.
• Last year Stetson earned its lone conference win against the Spartans, winning 2-0 in Spartanburg.
• ETSU holds a 7-2-0 advantage over Stetson in the all-time series between the two teams, which dates back to 2-1 Buccaneer win back in 2005.
• Last season ETSU defeated Stetson 3-1 in Johnson City.