DonateTicketsEnewsMobile AppsYoutubeTwitterFacebookLive StatsLive Video
Amber Grose now has one goal and five assists on the year.
by: David S. Williams
Grose Goal and Assist Help Hatters Earn Tie at Lipscomb
Courtesy: Stetson University  
Release:  10/04/2013
Share |

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Senior Amber Grose scored a goal and assisted on another as the Stetson women’s soccer team came from behind to tie Lipscomb by a score of 3-3 on Friday night in Nashville.

Down 3-2 for nearly 20 minutes, the Hatters (3-6-2, 1-1-1) were awarded a free kick from 40 yards out on the left side of the field with just over two minutes to play. Grose stepped up to take control of the set piece and placed a perfect ball into the box.

Sophomore Danielle Hurme was able to time her run so that she got a head on the ball and sent it past Lipscomb goalkeeper Anna Buhigas. The goal with 1:18 to play in regulation tied the match at 3-3 and kept Stetson in the game.

Neither team was able to score in either 10-minute overtime period, resulting in the draw. Both teams are now 1-1-1 in Atlantic Sun Conference play on the season after three contests.

“We were on the road and we were down a goal, and we managed to pull out a draw,” Stetson head coach Manoj Khettry said. “I mean, realistically, should we have won? Yes. Do I feel like we created enough chances to win? Yes, but I was proud of earning the tie coming from behind.”

The Bisons (4-5-3, 1-1-1) were able to take a very early lead in the first half, scoring in the fourth minute when Baylee Linnell found Alesondra Colbert in the box. Colbert’s score made it 1-0 in favor of Lipscomb, but the Hatters countered.

A pair of freshmen hooked up over 30 minutes later to tie the match at 1-1. A cross from Ashni Deschenes found the head of Eduarda Pavao, who put her first goal of the season in the back of the net to even things up.

Stetson quickly took the lead when Deschenes was able to beat a couple of Lipscomb defenders into the box. One of the Bisons pulled on the jersey of Deschenes after getting beat, and the Hatters were awarded a penalty kick. Grose stepped to the line and beat Buhigas to give Stetson a 2-1 lead late in the first half.

“Ashni, Duda, Danielle, and Bri all came off the bench and really gave us something,” Khettry said of Deschenes, Pavao, Hurme, and freshman Brianne Boldrin. “I just felt like there were so many really good performances to really lift us. We played really well, and we haven’t played a poor game in A-Sun action yet.”

Unfortunately for Stetson, Lipscomb scored two goals in the second half to take the 3-2 lead that lasted until the final few minutes of regulation. Molly Bray and Ellen Lundy gave the Bisons the advantage in the second half before Grose found Hurme tied the game in the 89th minute.

Stetson outshot Lipscomb 20-12 in the game, forcing Buhigas to make nine saves. Senior Victoria Troccoli finished with four saves for the Hatters. Each team recorded five corner kicks in the draw.

“I see this team coming together,” Khettry concluded. “They’re willing to fight for one another. They’re showing some grit and some heart. I heard so many positive comments from the bench, in the halftime, in between overtimes…they are talking and acting like a team, and that’s very positive for me.”

The Hatters will return to action on Sunday in Highland Heights, Ky. Stetson and Northern Kentucky are scheduled to kickoff at 12:00 p.m.

Stetson Women's Soccer