Coming off of its first Atlantic Sun Conference win over Mercer last weekend, the Stetson men’s soccer team stays at home this Saturday to host league-leading Florida Gulf Coast in the Hatters’ regular season finale at 7:30 p.m.
The win over the Bears last Sunday puts Stetson into a tie for sixth place in the A-Sun with four points. The Hatters are also currently tied for the fifth spot in the A-Sun Tournament since Northern Kentucky is ineligible once again this season. Both Mercer and USC Upstate also have four points in conference play.
FGCU comes to DeLand with an undefeated 4-0-1 mark in league action, holding an overall record of 6-5-2. The Eagles are the defending champions in the A-Sun, but most recently they tied Mercer 0-0 in double overtime at home.
Saturday’s match, taking place after the 5:00 p.m. women’s soccer contest, will act as Senior Day and as the Hatters’ Coaches vs. Cancer contest.
Stetson is also helping to raise money for the American Cancer Society by raffling off a framed, signed jersey. With all proceeds going to cancer research, fans can help out by locating the Coaches vs. Cancer table at Saturday’s match.
The game will have general admission tickets priced at $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students. All home soccer matches are free to Stetson students, faculty, and staff with a Stetson University ID. For more information call (386) 738-HATS.
The match can also be watched live on HatterVision with Ryan Rouse on the call. Live Stats on GoHatters.com, the @StetsonMSoccer Twitter feed, and Hat-Alerts are also available for in-game updates.
• Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast have met six times since beginning the all-time series in 2007. Each team has won three times.
• Last season FGCU defeated Stetson by a score of 2-0 in Fort Myers.
• The Hatters picked up their first Atlantic Sun Conference victory last Sunday, defeating Mercer at home by a score of 1-0 on a goal by senior Chase Rodgers.
• Stetson earned its first Atlantic Sun Conference point of the season on Oct. 11, playing to a 0-0 draw at USC Upstate.
• Rodgers, in his first season with the Hatters, leads Stetson with three goals and six points. Senior Raffaele Centofanti and Evan Jimmo are tied for second on the team with four points (1 goal, 2 assists).
• Senior Andreas Schnabl’s shutout against Mercer was the 15th of his career, which is a school record.
• Schnabl’s eight saves against Mercer also tied a career best. It tied for the most since Logan Potter’s 13 vs. Lipscomb on 10/9/09.
• Schnabl was named Atlantic Sun Conference Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Bears.