DonateTicketsEnewsMobile AppsYoutubeTwitterFacebookLive StatsLive Video
Hatters Wait Out Rain; Sweep ETSU
Courtesy: Stetson University  
Release:  05/06/2007
Share |
Braedyn Pruitt went 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored Sunday...
by: Chris Tunno
View larger

(DeLand, Fla.)  Following a more than two-and-half hour rain delay, the refreshed Stetson University bats led the Hatters to their fourth sweep of a conference opponent with a 6-0 win over East Tennessee State Sunday afternoon at Melching Field.  The Hatters (36-12, 18-3 A-Sun) led the Bucs (26-22, 11-10) 1-0 when play was halted in the bottom of the sixth. 


Stetson broke free in the seventh, one inning after the delay.  A two-run single from Braedyn Pruitt punctuated a 5-run frame that put the game out of reach.  The Hatters also took advantage of a hit batter, three walks, and a wild pitch to extend their lead.


Pruitt ended the day 3-for-4 with two doubles, two runs, and two RBI.  Shane Jordan added two hits and scored for the 222nd time in his Stetson career, tying him with Frank Corr for second place in school history. 


Jake Hitchcock (5-1) turned in six shutout innings for the win before rain shortened his afternoon.  Justin Dechert picked up the final three frames after the delay for his third save. 


Caleb Glafenhein (13-5) took the loss for the second straight game, despite allowing only one unearned run in five and one-third innings. 


The early portion of the game provided every bit of the drama of a 1-0 contest.  East Tennessee State’s head coach Tony Skole was ejected and several terrific defensive plays thwarted potential rallies. 


Skole was ejected after a play that ended the top of the third inning.  With the game still scoreless and runners at the corners with only one out, ETSU’s Justin Aughey grounded a ball to second.  Casey Frawley threw to second for the force play but the relay to first base sailed down the line.  Stetson first baseman Jeremy Cruz reached out to make a swipe at Aughey to try and get the final out.  Aughey was originally called safe but after a protest from the Stetson dugout, the call was reversed, wiping out the run and ending the inning.  Following an engaging argument, Skole was ejected by the first base umpire. 


Stetson then took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the inning.  Braedyn Pruitt led off with one of his two doubles to start the frame.  Justin Bass then reached on an error that brought in Pruitt after the wild throw.  The Hatters went on to load the bases, but a double play ended the threat and kept it a one-run game.  Glafenhein coaxed another inning-ending double play with the bases full in the fifth. 


Hitchcock was similarly tough for the Hatters.  The sophomore induced two doubles plays of his own to help the Bucs strand two runners at third base, both of whom advanced that far with less than two outs. 


One of those double plays started courtesy of a spectacular play from Frawley in the second inning.  A high bouncer deflected off Hitchcock’s glove, forcing Frawley to field the ball in front of second base.  The freshman flipped the ball behind his back to get the force play and Kevin Johnson’s relay to first completed the double play.


The Hatters return to the field Tuesday night with a 7:00 p.m. first pitch at Melching Field. 








Stetson Baseball