DeLand, Fla. - Stetson baseball's Nick Rickles (Loxahatchee, Fla.) has made the cut and has earned a spot on the Coleman Company-Johnny Bench Award Semifinal list. Rickles is one of 13 players still in contention for the honor.
Ballots will be sent to the national voting panel at the end of May for a vote to determine the three finalist. The finalists will be announced on June 6. A final vote among the national committee will occur during the College World Series. All finalists will be brought to Wichita and Johnny Bench will present the award at the 14th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet on June 30, 2011.
With two games remaining in the regular season Rickles is batting a team-leading .362 with 20 doubles, three triples, 11 home runs and 58 RBI. Defensively he has a fielding percentage of .989, he leads the Atlantic Sun Conference in pick offs with seven, and he has thrown out 21 runners attempting to steal.
The Coleman Company-Johnny Bench Award semifinalists are (in alphabetical order):
• Tony Caldwell, Auburn University;
• Curt Casali, Vanderbilt University;
• John Hicks, University of Virginia;
• Tyler Jones, Long Island University;
• Jake Lowery, James Madison University;
• James McCann, University of Arkansas;
• Chris O'Brien, Wichita State University;
• Tyler Ogle, University of Oklahoma;
• Kevin Plawecki, Purdue University;
• Matt Rice, Western Kentucky University;
• Nick Rickles, Stetson University;
• Derek Trent, East Tennessee State University and
• Mike Zunino, University of Florida.