After concluding a difficult non-conference slate on a five-game road trip, the Stetson women’s soccer team is set to begin Atlantic Sun Conference play this weekend, playing host to in-state rivals North Florida and Jacksonville.
The Hatters (2-5-1) will host the Ospreys (3-5-2) on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. North Florida went 5-3-1 in A-Sun action last year, eventually falling to Mercer in the conference semifinals. This season the Ospreys have enjoyed wins over College of Charleston, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and South Alabama. The only common opponent Stetson and UNF have had is UCF, who defeated the Ospreys 5-0.
Stetson will get back to the pitch on Sunday, welcoming Jacksonville (5-4-0) to the Athletic Training Center for a 1:00 p.m. contest. The Dolphins take on defending conference champion FGCU on Friday night before challenging the Hatters. JU is 3-1-0 away from home in 2013, which includes wins over Niagara, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern.
This weekend's contests will have general admission tickets priced at $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students, but any fan with a ticket for this Saturday's football game against San Diego will be charged just $1. All home soccer matches are free to Stetson students, faculty, and staff with a Stetson University ID. For more information call (386) 738-HATS.
Both of this weekend’s matches will be available to watch on Hatter Vision with Ryan Rouse on the call. Live Stats on GoHatters.com, the @StetsonWSoccer Twitter feed, and Hat-Alerts text message service are also available for in-game updates.
• North Florida holds a slight 5-4-0 advantage over Stetson in the all-time series between the two teams. Last season the Ospreys won 2-1 in Jacksonville. The Hatters’ last win was in 2011, topping UNF 3-2 in DeLand.
• Jacksonville maintains an 11-7-2 advantage over Stetson in the all-time series between the two teams. Last year the Dolphins won 3-0 in Jacksonville. The Hatters’ last win was a 5-1 rout in DeLand back in 2008.
• Amber Grose leads the Hatters with four assists this season. She is tied for third in the Atlantic Sun Conference in total assists, and is third outright in assists per game.
• Six freshmen have made appearances for Stetson this season, and four have started for the Hatters in 2013. Eduarda Pavao played in her first game this past Friday at Eastern Michigan.
• Four different Hatters have scored goals this season, but senior Alyssa Welsh leads the way with two after scoring last Friday at Eastern Michigan. Kait Jones, Makeshia Lucien, and Carmen Bernecker have also scored in 2013.
• Stetson went 1-7-1 in Atlantic Sun play last season, missing the conference tournament.
• The Hatters are 1-1-1 at home this season.