In the midst of its best Atlantic Sun Conference campaign since 2006, the Stetson women’s soccer team hits the road for the final time this regular season taking on Kennesaw State and Mercer this weekend.
The Hatters are currently in second place in the league with a 4-1-1 record and 13 points. Stetson is unbeaten in its last four matches, tying Lipscomb before defeating Northern Kentucky, USC Upstate and ETSU. The Hatters’ 12 goals over their last four contests are tied with league-leading Florida Gulf Coast for the most in the conference during that span.
Three challenging opponents await the Hatters in their final games of the regular season as they attempt to qualify for the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament for the first time since 2010. Kennesaw State, Mercer, and FGCU were the top three teams in the standings a year ago, and all three are currently in the top five this season.
The Hatters will take on the Owls on Friday at 7:00 p.m. in Kennesaw, Ga. KSU holds a record of 6-7-0 and is 3-2-0 in league play. The Owls got out to a hot start, winning their first three in A-Sun action over Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky, and USC Upstate. Kennesaw, however, has lost its last two contests, falling on the road at ETSU and Mercer.
After playing host to FGCU on Friday night, Mercer will welcome Stetson to Macon on Sunday for a 1:00 p.m. match. The Bears are 8-5-2 overall and are fourth in the A-Sun with a mark of 3-1-1 for 10 points. Mercer topped NKU to start league play, lost to Lipscomb, and has been unbeaten in its last three, topping ETSU, tying USC Upstate, and winning in overtime over Kennesaw State.
Friday’s match at Kennesaw will be streamed live on ASun.TV and will have Live Stats available at KSUOwls.com. Sunday’s contest at Mercer will only feature Live Stats, available at MercerBears.com. Fans can also follow @StetsonWSoccer on Twitter or subscribe to Hat-Alerts for live in-game updates.
• Stetson’s pair of wins over USC Upstate and ETSU last weekend extended its unbeaten streak to four games, dating back to the Hatters’ 3-3 tie at Lipscomb on Oct. 4.
• The Hatters go into the weekend all alone in second place with a 4-1-1 A-Sun record and 13 points. FGCU leads the way with 16 points, while Jacksonville and Mercer are close behind Stetson with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
• Stetson’s 4-1-1 league record is its best start to conference play since starting 5-0-1 in 2006, and it is the team’s second best start ever.
• Stetson’s three-match winning streak and four-game unbeaten streak are the longest since 2010.
• The Hatters can qualify for the A-Sun Tournament with one win this weekend.
• Amber Grose leads the Hatters and is tied for third in the A-Sun with six assists on the year. Adding one goal, she is tied for second on the team with eight points.
• Kennesaw State holds a 5-2-1 advantage in the all-time series against Stetson, dating back to a 4-1 Owl win in Kennesaw back in 2005.
• Last year KSU topped the Hatters 3-0 in DeLand in the regular season finale.
• Stetson and Mercer are tied 7-7-2 in the all-time series between the two teams, which dates back to a 9-1 Bear victory in 1993, the first season of competition for the Hatters.
• Last season Mercer won 2-0 in DeLand late in the year.