The Stetson women’s soccer team returns home for its regular season finale on Saturday, playing host to league-leading Florida Gulf Coast at 5:00 p.m. at the Athletic Training Center.
After dropping a pair of difficult road contests at Kennesaw State and Mercer last weekend, the Hatters (6-8-2, 4-3-1) find themselves in a tie for third place in the Atlantic Sun Conference standings with both the Owls and the Bears.
Stetson would clinch a spot in the A-Sun Championship with a win on Saturday against FGCU (11-3-3, 6-0-2), but could also earn a berth into the tournament with a tie or a loss. The Hatters lead sixth place Lipscomb by four points, and hold a six point advantage over ETSU and North Florida. The top six teams make the tournament.
The Eagles will make things difficult for the Hatters in their final regular season contest, having not lost in A-Sun play. FGCU takes an eight-game unbeaten streak into DeLand on Saturday, but is coming off of a 0-0 draw at Kennesaw State.
Saturday's match will be available to watch on HatterVision with Ryan Rouse on the call. Live Stats, the @StetsonWSoccer Twitter feed, and Hat-Alerts are also available for in-game updates.
The contest will have general admission tickets priced at $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students. All home soccer matches are free to Stetson students, faculty, and staff with a Stetson University ID. For more information call (386) 738-HATS.
• The Hatters are currently tied for third place in the league standings with 13 points after falling on the road to Kennesaw State and Mercer.
• The Hatters haven’t reached the A-Sun Tournament since 2010 when Stetson reached the semifinals.
• Stetson took part in the A-Sun Tournament for eight straight seasons from 2003 to 2010.
• Welsh leads Stetson with 10 points on the season (4 goals, 2 assists), while Jones (4 goals) and Grose (1 goal, 6 assists) are tied for second with eight points.
• Grose’s six assists are tied for third most in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• FGCU holds a 5-1-0 advantage over Stetson in the all-time series, which dates back to a 3-2 Hatter victory in the first ever meeting back in 2007.
• Last season FGCU defeated Stetson 2-0 in Fort Myers.