On opening day, the official start to the professional baseball season, many former Stetson Hatters can be found around the very first major and minor league baseball games of 2013.
Chris Johnson, who has played for the Houston Astros and the Arizona Diamondbacks, will begin this season with the Atlanta Braves after a trade earlier this year. Former Hatter Corey Kluber returns for his third season with the Cleveland Indians after making 12 starts for the Tribe in 2012.
Stetson fans won’t have to travel far to watch former Hatter Ben Carhart. The infielder begins 2013 with the Cubs’ Advanced A affiliate Daytona Cubs after playing rookie ball last season.
Brother of current Stetson infielder Tyler, Brian Bocock begins 2013 with the Syracuse Chiefs, after the Washington Nationals recently signed him to a minor league deal. The 2006 draftee last played in the majors in 2010 with the Philadelphia Phillies.
Other former Hatters playing professional baseball:
- Jake Boyd – Burlington Bees (Angels A)
- Lindsey Caughel – Great Lakes Loon (Dodgers A)
- Jeremy Cruz – Arkansas Travelers (Angels AA)
- Tucker Donahue – Lansing Lugnuts (Blue Jays A)
- Sam Kimmel – Aberdeen IronBirds (Orioles A-)
- Robbie Powell – Orem Owlz (Angels Rookie)
- Nick Rickles – Beloit Snappers (Athletics A)