Hatters Buzzer Beaten by Owls Again

Hatters Buzzer Beaten by Owls Again

Bookmark and Share

Kennesaw, Ga. - For the second time this season Kennesaw State (8-17, 6-9 A-Sun) defeated Stetson (7-20, 5-11 A-Sun) on a buzzer beater. With the score tied and the clock winding down KSU's Spencer Dixon shot a jumper that missed its mark. LaDaris Green however, was able to get a hand on the ball and tip it home in the final second to give the Owls a 67-65 win over the Hatters.

Earlier this season on January 16 in the Edmunds Center Dixon went coast to coast on an inbound play and hit a layup with one second remaining to give KSU a 63-62 win at that buzzer.

"I thought we played hard and with good energy", said Stetson head coach Derek Waugh. "This is getting amazing with all these buzzer beaters. Notre Dame had a season like this a couple years ago but other than that, I have not seen anything like it."

Luis Jacobo (Sanford, Fla.) led the Hatters with a career high-equaling 18 points after shooting 7-for-10 from the field and 4-of-7 from 3-point territory. Corey Walden (Ormond Beach, Fla.) was next with 14 points followed by Steve Forbes (Clermont, Fla.) with 12. Walden also led the Hatters in rebounding with eight. Markeith Cummings led all scorers with 22 points.

"Obviously our foul situation hurt in the first half and down the stretch", said Waugh.

Fouls were an issue for the Hatters all night and all weekend. Heading into the locker room at the half Stetson had five players with two fouls and Aaron Graham (Ft. Lauerdale, Fla.) had four. Both Aaron and Ridge Graham (Stuart, Fla.) fouled out of the game and were not available coming down the stretch. Coach Waugh was also forced into creative substitutions in order to keep his two centers Graeme Radford (Victoria, Australia) and Steve Forbes from suffering the same fate.

On Thursday night against Mercer Ridge Graham along with Jacobo fouled out of the game. For the road trip Stetson was whistled for 48 fouls while their hosts committed just 31.

Stetson led KSU for most of the game including the entire first half. The Hatters jumped out to a 21-9 lead to open the game before the Owls fought back to a 5-point deficit at the break. Stetson held the lead until 15:42 of the second half when a Green layup put KSU up by a point. Stetson pushed the lead back to 12 points after a Forbes 3-point play at 11:01 but KSU never quit. The Owls largest lead of the game was their final margin of two points.

Next up the Hatters return home to host Campbell on Thursday, February 17 at 7:15 p.m. Stetson fans can catch the games on Hatter Vision. Be sure to follow the Hatters on Twitter at @StetsonSID, on Facebook at Stetson Athletics, and check out the Stetson Hatters channel onYouTube.

Print Friendly Version

More Headlines